Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Changing Times

"There is a time for everything, 
and a season for every activity under the heavens:
a time to be born and a time to die, 
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal, 
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing, 
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace."

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

The last few months have been riddled with monumental changes in what I thought was my solid life and future. For the last several weeks I've hesitated as to whether or not to blog about them, but at the end of the day, this blog has become a sort of journal for me - as well as an opportunity to share my faith...and a life is never all highs is it?

Since the beginning of this blog a large part of my life has revolved around a very important relationship in my life. However, at the end of this past summer, Justin and I decided to part ways. After nearly three years together, this was not an easy, nor a rushed decision, but in the end we both agreed it was what needed to happen.

Consequently the last few weeks have been a roller coaster of emotions. Saying goodbye, finding my bearings again, getting used to a new social life, etc. Friends and family have been amazing, and I feel blessed to say that I have felt complete peace. Are there things that I would do differently - yes, and maybe I will blog about those someday, but I don't regret my time with Justin or the memories that were made. He was my rock and support through some of the most difficult times of my life, and for that I will be forever grateful. I know we both walked away with an incredible respect for one another and each other's families. I will never have anything bad to say about him, and I know we both truly wish the best for each other.

The last few months have been such a journey for me - losing both my grandparents, ending things with Justin, having a best friend move away, starting my final year of law school, etc. I believe they have also been a test of how I will respond to God and what faith really means. I am amazed at how I am continually challenged to lean on Christ and how often I struggle to relinquish control to him.

Just when I think I know how my story is all going to be laid out - God throws in another curveball.

But at the same time and through all the frustrations and tears I can see God at work. In fact, in the last week I have caught myself smiling more than ever and praising His goodness - sometimes His blessings just don't come in exactly the way we were expecting....but those stories are for another time. :)

God is good all the time, ALL the time, God is good.


7 comments:

  1. I really understand what you're going through here as I'm going through the same thing. The experiences on my plate at this time may be different, but the core of it is very similar.

    It's amazing what can happen when you joyfully embrace trials as they come. I love James 1 for that reason. As painful as they can be, I've always learned the sweetest, most profound lessons during trials, and they're some of my most precious moments with the Lord.

    One of the elders at my church really comforted my husband and I with the following statement:

    "One of the ways you know you belong to the Lord is because of frequent trials. It means He cares for you because He wants to perfect you with them. After all, we are perfected in our sufferings."

    There was a lot more that followed, but that was the crux of it. Cling to Christ, and in every moment realize that this is EXACTLY what the Lord wants you to go through at this time. Own it, trust Him completely, and find whatever you can do to maximize it.

    My husband tells me this one frequently:

    "When hard times come they can either embitter you or sweeten you depending on how you cope with them."

    One of the beauties of Christianity is the ability to wholeheartedly embrace the challenges that come and use them as a tool to 'sweeten' you. It sounds like you're doing just that. You'll be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing the difficulties you've been going through. I know how it feels to have your "world" set up how you want it one minute, and then the next minute your world becomes something completely different whether you like it or not. And it is just so true that God rarely throws only one curveball at a time. But he never gives us more than we can handle with him to strengthen us!

    I went through a period of change much like you are going through where it seemed everything changed at once. While I felt disoriented, I also felt excited for what might be ahead. God gave me my soul mate shortly after that, and it was the best gift he ever gave me.

    Keep optimistic and remember all the goodness our God has in store for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say quickly how much I admire the way you and Justin handled everything with your relationship...being focused on God from the start and being so delicate to His will and leading through it all.

    Also, you don't know how much of an encouragement you have been to me through this blog. Thank you so much for writing it and sharing your thoughts. I will admit that there are few people I know personally who I can really look up to and admire (with the exception of my parents who are beyond fabulous in every way) and I've always been a bit of an oddity with my peers because my focus has always been different and I've been accused of being born older than I really am...which is probably true :) Anyway, just wanted to say thank you for being such a godly example to me...you will never know how much of a blessing you have been.

    Hugs,
    nana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your outlook on life through these challenging times is very inspiring and encouraging! Change can be so difficult, but it is sometimes those changes that lead to something greater that only God could plan. You are in my prayers, Julianne!

    Your Sister In Christ,
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julianne I admire your positive attitude despite all these big changes in your life! Much love to you. <3

    Blessings,

    xoxo Miss ALK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Julianne.

    I just stumbled upon your blog and am thrilled to find a like-minded sister in Christ. I am a senior in college and, Lord willing, planning to go to law school after I graduate. I had begun to feel like a lone island betwixt feminism and the Christian conservatives who believe there is only one mold for womanhood, so I was excited to read your posts on womanhood, politics, and the workplace and find someone else who shared my beliefs.

    Keep trusting in the Lord and standing for Him and His truth. Even though your journey seems hard right now, the Lord is faithful - "He that hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ" (Philippians 1:6).

    Blessings,
    Kate

    http://afreshwaterpearl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Sweet Friend.

    I have been on a roller coaster myself the last six weeks and that has kept me away from blog world. But I have been thinking of you and wanted to stop by and see how you are doing. It sounds like the answer it, "Well. You are doing well." And I am not surprised. When you keep your bearings on the Lord you will always land on your feet, even when everything seems turned upside down. I know it isn't always easy to share the more emotional side of life, but it is an encouragement to those around you to see how you are dealing with so many trials in your life. Keep writing!

    Hugs,

    Kat

    ReplyDelete