Friday, December 14, 2012

Embracing Weird

Do you ever have something that you feel like the Lord is just pushing on your heart? That at first you might just think is a bleep on the radar, but all of the sudden it keeps coming up again and again.

Over the past two and a half years, I have felt God placing it on my heart to embrace the weird.

I know - sounds ridiculous right? But the truth is that I'm tired of living what may be considered a "normal" life and letting what culture tells me dictate what decisions I make. I'd like to think that I have never been afraid to march to the beat of my own drum, but lately I've recognized the importance of not only accepting living a counter-cultural life, but striving for it.

"I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."
Romans 12:1-2

What do I mean? I mean purposely making choices like letting my faith dictate every decision I make, choosing to maintain strict physical boundaries in my relationship, living simply - debt free - and within my economic limits, dressing modestly, seeking to strive to be hospitable and commit to investing in relationships, going to law school - and then choosing to be a stay-at-home mom, choosing to homeschool my children, etc.

All to frequently I find myself engaging in conversation with individuals whom I would consider to be passive Christians. Yes they believe in God, but their faith is restricted to a Sunday morning worship service and occasional mid-week Bible study. The reality is that this passive Christianity is not working.    To truly embrace the Word of God we need to be willing to make sacrifices for him - we need to be willing to seek out ways to live out the Word on a daily basis and in a manner that might make other uncomfortable.

"The wicked run away when no one is chasing them, but the godly are as bold as lions."
Proverbs 28:1

I don't believe everyone's weird is the same. I listed above a couple of things that I have come to believe are really important and plan on striving to implement in my own life, but your weird may revolve more around how you seek to be a good steward of God's creation, or how you strive to be a bold witness in your workplace.

Let's face it - alot of people think that Christians are weird enough already - so why not embrace it? I rather be considered weird by my peers and be seeking to serve Christ to my fullest than to seek to fit in with popular culture and be willing to put my faith on the back burner.

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline."
2 Timothy 1:7



*Some books that I would highly recommend in regards to this topic are "Cunchy Con" by Rod Dreher and "Weird" by Craig Groeschel.

2 comments:

  1. Great post Julianne! I too had to learn to embrace "weird" and it has not been easy sometimes. But you are completely right, passive Christianity doesn't work. I used to be one and I realized it was what make it impossible for me to ever have that zeal and thirst for God that I saw in other Christians. Welcome to the weird club!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful post! Amen!

    Gretch
    www.31cups.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete