Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A What?

 Twice this past weekend I was accused of becoming a hipster.

Excuse me - a what?

Okay, I know what a hipster generally refers to, but I have always primarily associated it with guys who wore jeans that looked like they were painted on and could fit into Urban Outfitters ads. I am neither.

The first comment was made after I wore a pair of jeans with stiching on the outside. Granted, I got those in Minnesota where there are alot of people who only eat organic germ-wheat toast and ride bicylces everywhere, but still....

The second comment was made after a friend asked me what Brandon and I had spent the day doing. I replied that we had checked out a couple of new (to us) used bookstores in the area and then hung out at Barnes and Noble drinking coffee and comparing houses/designs from different architecture books and magazines. Granted, this makes us sound completely nerdy - which we will totally admit to, we are two lawyers (or lawyers-to-be) after all, but I've never thought of it as something that would define me as a "hipster."

Book Heaven

So I turned to my handy-dandy internet guide for some more clarification --> urban dictionary.

Although crass at times, this wonderful site has helped me understand many nuances others tend to throw around without embarassing myself.

And so, courtesy of urban dictionary, a hipster is: "...a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter." (the definition then continued to describe the type of fashion style associated with "hipsters" which incredible included the ridiculously tight pants and urban outfitters reference I made earlier :))

Interestingly, when I broke down this definition I would consider myself falling into more of the catagories listed than not:

1. Woman in her 20's - check

2. Values independent thinking - as opposed to non-indpendent thinking? Like having others make decisions for me? I guess I've always just considered "independent thinking" to coincide with "maturity." Although given that there seems to be an epidemic of I-don't-want-to-grow-up-and-would-rather-just-party-till-I'm-30 going on among my peers maybe this isn't as much of a generic behavior as I thought it was...

3. Counter-culture - I'm all about being counter-cultural, but mainly because I have alot of problems with the way mainstream culture embraces attitudes and actions that can easily lead one away from God rather than closer to him.

4. Progressive politics - I have no clue. I'm progressive in the sense that I think we need to continually re-evaluate what political decisions/leaders have worked in the past and what changes need to be made in the future. But really, I'm a pretty hard-core Conservative and the basic principals I believe in haven't changed much.

5. An appreciation of art and indie-rock - hah! I guess I have some appreciation for art - but probably 98.9% of the art I appreciate was created before 1900. As for indie-rock, I wouldn't know how to point it out if I heard it.

6. Creativity - I like to think of myself as pretty creative. I love to be working on a project, whether it is writing, scrapbooking, sewing, etc. I remember being a little kid and watching the TV show Barney (yes the ridiculous show with the singing dinosaur) but there was always one segment on the show where they had this bottomless bag (like Mary Poppins) and they would pull all these really cool art supplies out (i.e. toliet paper tubes and yarn) and then make something with it. I was so enthralled by that bag that my mom started keeping a box of odds and ends for me to "create" with.

7. Intelligence - Well, my family tells me I'm pretty smart and I've made it almost all the way through law school so I would generally agree that I'm intelligent. (although when I say this outloud or write it down it just sounds so cocky...)

8. Witty Banter -  hah! This is almost as funny as indie rock. I suppose sometimes I can engage in witty banter, but if I do, it's completely unintentional. In the few times I have actually tried to be witty I just end up creating awkward pauses in the conversation. Although one time Brandon and I had a several-hour long text banter going on that revolved around every legal term we could think of - but I'm not sure if anyone other than us would consider that "witty banter"!

Conclusion: I still don't think of myself as a hipster, but if anyone else wants to classify my thrifty/craftiness as that at least I know enough now not to be offended :)

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha you hipster, you! I didn't realize that the definition of a hipster was so complex! :-)

    If you don't mind me saying this I have a suggestion for you for an upcoming post. I've always enjoyed reading your thoughts on modesty and your fashion posts. With Spring and Summer around the corner I'd love to see your thoughts on swimwear! I feel that this is a tough decision/subject for Christian girls like myself.

    xoxo Miss ALK

    ReplyDelete