Thursday, January 3, 2013

An Airport Christmas


Fact: I have spent more time in airports in the last 5 months than I have in the last 5 years.

Fact: I am developing an extreme love-hate relationship with airports.

I don’t think I expected being in a long-distance relationship to be this hard. People warned me, especially my friend Jess who did the Minnesota-Michigan long-distance thing for her entire relationship, but I was convinced Brandon and I could beat the system and not let the distance phase us. To be honest, for being long-distance we have it pretty easy. Except for the month of December we’ve been able to see each other every 2-3 weeks and we talk/skype daily. When I think about my Grandma doing long-distance with my Grandpa for years while he was at war and could only infrequently send letters, I feel a little ridiculous complaining about my current situation!

Yet both Brandon and I feel the distance is worth it and the travel will only be for a short period of our relationship.

That said, I did have a great time in Minnesota this Christmas.

Rather than bore you with all the minute details, I thought I’d just do some highlights (although pardon me if these get to lengthy as well :)).

- Exchanging gifts with Brandon on Christmas Day. He not only went above and beyond and surprised me with a beautiful necklace, but he also spent the last 2 months writing a blog for me that he filled with memories and letters!

-Spending time with Brandon’s family. I had met his parents before, but had never had the opportunity to meet his sister and BIL who live in Maryland. It was great getting to know John and Holly and spending time playing with Gianna, Brandon’s precious 2-year-old niece.

I made Gianna a tutu similar to the one I made Lexi this year. Every time she would put it on she would go and check herself out in the mirror!


-Trying Indian food for the first time. Brandon spent some time studying at Oxford and while he was there he really developed a taste for Indian food. I’ve been resisting trying it (one of those foods that I’ve only tried once before and had a not-so-great experience with), but we joined up with friends one night and went to a really nice Indian place. It may not be my first choice, but I’d be willing to eat it again.

At the Indian restaurant post meal

-CHEESE CURDS. I have to admit that I had some serious misconceptions about these incredible little balls before this trip. But the truth is that they are incredible – similar to mozzarella sticks, but a lighter batter and so much better.


-Obsessively talking, texting, and face timing with my parents and brother while Isaac was being born. Although I would have rather had been there in person I am so thankful for today’s technology that allowed me to “meet” Isaac just minutes after he was born.

-A major highlight was getting to spend time with Brandon’s friends – some I had met before and others that were in town visiting for the holiday season. There were many nights of good food and great conversation, including New Year’s Eve.

At what has become one of my favorite restaurants in St. Paul - in the basement of the house where the restaurant is they have an incredible space with couches and little coves.

New Year's Eve

-Seeing Les Miserables. Brandon slightly humored me by going to this movie, but we both LOVED it and it has easily made it onto my top 5 favorite films list.

-Late night conversations with Jess. Sure my real reasoning behind this trip was to be able to see Brandon, but I am so fortunate to have my best friend living in the same town as well! Although I stayed with Brandon’s family for part of this trip, Jess and Rob were my gracious hosts for the rest of the time I was in MN. Over the last couple of trips I’ve made to MN Jess and I have developed a tradition of starting the day with coffee and a 2+ hour word-fest.

Love this girl!

-Having a white Christmas. I was a little worried this year because MI was really stubborn and didn’t give us any snow before late Christmas Eve. Although I woke up to a solid dusting on Christmas morning, I ended Christmas with a good couple of inches in MN.

This really doesn't do the snow justice, but this was one morning where we finally had a break in the snow and went out for a walk.

How was your holiday season?

3 comments:

  1. Indian food!!!! That's my favorite cuisine. :-) Glad you had a lovely trip!

    xoxo miss ALK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you enjoyed your holidays in my home state! We did really have a lovely white Christmas with all the snow! Blessings as you continue pursuing a relationship with Brandon. "Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in Him; and He shall bring it to pass" (Psalm 37:5).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get you on the distance-is-tough-but-I-shouldn't-complain-because-our-grandparents-had-it-much-worse. I don't know how many times I've tried to remind myself that technology makes long-distance relationships so much easier. But there are still times when it doesn't feel that way!

    ReplyDelete