I presumed quinoa was one of those fads.
The past couple of weeks I've been working on actually trying the things I pin, rather than simply pinning. I'd found a quinoa recipe that looked good, and if you follow me on pinterest it would be pretty easy to see that I thought it was a success. I now have an entire board dedicated to quinoa.
What is quinoa?
- A grain that originated in South America - smaller and more circular than a grain of rice
- Gluten free (I don't need to be concerned about this, but going gluten free seems to be helping many with various health problems)
- Low in cholesterol and sodium
- A great source of protein (significantly more than rice - another similar grain)
- Quick and easy to prepare
- Versatile - can be used in baked goods, breakfast/lunch/dinner meals as either an entree or a side dish
This is the dish I made this week and fell in love with - in fact I've made it twice so far and had enough for dinner and lunch the next day.