Friday, February 8, 2013

Keen-wah


I'm not one to jump on food-fads very often. I grew up in a house where we ate in a very healthy and balanced manner and I have not significantly changed any of my eating habits over the years. Consequently when a new "great" food plan is revealed I tend to ignore it and continue on my way.

I presumed quinoa was one of those fads.

The past couple of weeks I've been working on actually trying the things I pin, rather than simply pinning. I'd found a quinoa recipe that looked good, and if you follow me on pinterest it would be pretty easy to see that I thought it was a success. I now have an entire board dedicated to quinoa. 

What is quinoa? 

- A grain that originated in South America - smaller and more circular than a grain of rice
- Gluten free (I don't need to be concerned about this, but going gluten free seems to be helping many with various health problems)
- Low in cholesterol and sodium
- A great source of protein (significantly more than rice - another similar grain)
- Quick and easy to prepare
- Versatile - can be used in baked goods, breakfast/lunch/dinner meals as either an entree or a side dish

This is the dish I made this week and fell in love with - in fact I've made it twice so far and had enough for dinner and lunch the next day.

Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Quinoa is delicious! I will have to check out your board on Pinterest, and make some of the recipes. Thanks, Julianne!

    Your Sister In Christ,
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like couscous...and of course we love couscous. And that salad look fabulous.

    Had to smile while reading your bit on food fads because my father always gets really excited about a new health food and my mom will just sit back and smile because she has been trying to get him to eat that food for years and he wouldn't have anything to do with it before :)

    ReplyDelete