Thursday, February 7, 2013

Reflection


So far January and February have succumbed to a season of poor blogging. I was reflecting the other day on why my posts have been infrequent and a little too “fuffy” for my taste, here is what I came up with:

First, I’ve simply had writers block. I’ve found that getting through my last semester is taking a lot more concintration than I thought – mostly because it is so hard to stay focused when the end is finally near. (Plus most of my writing energy has gone into papers - but somehow I don't think my views on city funding for domestic violence shelters or the cycle of abuse displayed by teens raised in homes where domestic violence was presence would be of much interest to my readers here :) ).

Second, I have been busy living life! The last semester of law school has brought the joys of job hunting and filling out my BAR application (think hours spent recounting everything and everywhere you have been for the last decade). I’ve also had an incredibly wonderful man coming out for visits every other weekend and, not knowing what the future will bring, I’ve been spending a lot of time with my family and treasuring the moments I have watching my nieces and nephew grow.

Although this season has been busy I mentioned to a friend the other day that I feel so incredibly blessed!

I don’t know about you, but sometimes in life I find my spiritual life wandering when things seem to be going “so good” at a daily level. One of the things I love about the Psalms is that it is a book filled with clear expressions of highs and lows and reiterates that it is important to call out and praise the Lord in both the good times and the bad.

Personally, it’s easy for me to call out to the Lord when I am having a low day/season. I tend to let my stress and frustrations consume me (not a positive trait…) and consequently in those times I have a hard time thinking of anything but what is going wrong. It is not only easy to cry out to the Lord in frustration, but I also feel as though I am more willing to look for the blessings that are in my life and lean on my faith.

On the other hand, during seasons of highs and success I often find myself falling into the temptation of thinking that I can do it all on my own! What a lie. How easy is it to accomplish something and then forget to give credit to those who spent time investing in and supporting you?

"The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away, blessed be the name of the Lord."
Job 1:21

Brandon and I were talking the other day about how important it is to focus our sole purpose/goal in life being to serve God and striving to follow his plans. In recognizing such a purpose it is essential to keep God at the center of everything - our work, our relationships, our successes, etc. HE is the reason behind every accomplishment and every blessing, just as it is HE who gives us the strength to push through challenges, illness, and loss. 

"In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."
1 Thessalonians 5:18

God seeks our unconditional praise in the good times and the bad!



No comments:

Post a Comment