Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Pomp and Circumstance

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters,
Colossians 3:23

Last night my law school journey came to an end. Commencement was held in the city's beautiful orchestra hall and the evening itself ended up being much more emotional than I ever expected!


3 years ago I walked into law school orientation naive, excited, and slightly petrified of what was to come. 



Alot of things have changed in the last 3 years. There are parts of law school that I have loved - the academic challenges, the opportunity to learn and debate the issues our government was founded on, and meeting many inspirational people who have committed themselves to fighting for and protecting 



There are also parts of law school that I can't wait to get away from! The often extreme stress and being surrounded by people who are positive they are "right" and can't wait to debate you if you challenge their argument!



This was my first public school graduation. Going into it, I was curious as to how it would be different from the religious-centered commencement programs I'd been part of in the past. To be honest, I thought it was pretty fluffy. Apparently, prayer is easily replaced by thanking everyone under the sun who is NOT God! However, the keynote speaker was a local federal district court judge, and I very much enjoyed her speech.


However, throughout the entire ceremony I couldn't stop thinking about the real reasons that I had made it to commencement, and the real people that were deserving of thanks. My professors were great,  but without my faith and familial support I never would have made it through.




Brandon: Brandon claims he got the easiest end of the stick because he only came into my life during this last year of law school (which is supposed to be your lightest year). But the truth is that he has helped me manage my stress better than anyone else. Brandon attended law school as well (7 years ago :)) and it has been so helpful to have someone who has gone through the same things and operates in a similar manner by my side. I love this man and am so grateful for him!



My oldest brother Nate represented my siblings at the ceremony (we all met up for dinner afterwards). My siblings were my rocks throughout the pass 3 years. I can't even count the number of texts, emails, and phone calls I had encouraging me through 6 exam seasons. They've given me hugs, let me vent, and most crucially sat me down and told me no way was I going to quit (when I was 95% sure I was after my 1st year).




I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me
Philippians 4:13



My parents: My biggest cheerleaders, my prayer warriors, my biggest encouragers, my constant support system.....Words truly cannot describe how amazing these 2 people are, or how much I love them. 



My grandparents: My grandparents, especially my grandpa, have also been a huge part of my support team. There were times I didn't think they would make it to my law school graduation, but to have them there and part of the celebration meant the world to me. 





After the ceremony we went to one of my favorite seafood places in the city that is right on the river (that is actually Canada behind Brandon and me). The rest of my siblings joined us and it was a great time of celebration, toasts, and tears (mostly on my part) :)





Now onto the BAR!



No comments:

Post a Comment