Friday, May 3, 2013

The Dress!

Somehow April flew by - a fact which I was completely grateful! Final exams have finished, and after 3 long years I have officially FINISHED law school! (well assuming I passed all my last set of exams!) Graduation isn't for another week+ and my bar-prep classes don't start until the 20th, so in the meantime my life has become wedding planning central! I know that studying for the bar will take up the majority of my time for the next 3 months, so I wanted to make sure that I had as much accomplished as possible before I started studying.

The biggest decision this week has been that I found my DRESS! No pictures yet, because it is going to be a surprise to all, except my parents, my future mother-in-law, and my bridesmaids (and my brother who snuck into the final decision meeting).

I always laughed when I heard people say that they bought the first dress that they tried on. Well......so did I :) My mom and I set out for a day of shopping yesterday, thinking that we would just get an idea of what I was looking for and then head back out with my sisters-in-law in the near future. However, I fell in love with the first dress and had it narrowed down to 2 after visiting the first bridal salon. After an afternoon of visiting another dress shop and looking/price comparing more online, I was still confident that the first dress I'd tried on was the one. (that combined with the fact that I knew I really needed to order my dress within the next week, as we are down to about 8 months from the wedding, and the fact that the store was willing to do additional price negotiating if we bought it on the same day as my first visit to their store).

So I made a couple of phone calls and frantically shot my matron of honor pictures to get her opinion. My dad, SIL, brother, and nieces joined my mom and I back at the first salon for a final decision - and the vote was unanimous :)

Not only am I excited, but I'm relieved as well. I was nervous about finding something that I felt was modest, elegant, and that I felt comfortable in. I'm confident I met all 3 goals! The price was a little over what I had originally budgeted for a dress, but after a few phone calls I quickly realized that I could borrow a veil and jewelry from several friends - which gave me a little extra funds to shuffle-around.

And just to make the day a little more exciting, while stopped at a red light on our way to the 2nd bridal store, my mom and I were hit by a 20-wheel semi truck carrying a load of bricks. Apparently the driver saw the light was green and then looked down at his delivery sheet. When he looked back up the light was red and our car was just sitting there. Luckily, he managed to swerve his truck partially only the lawn next to us (taking out 2 street signs and tearing up the grass in the promise) and we walked away from the accident completely fine and only needing to get the bumper on my car replaced! Praise the Lord! However, I was driving and my accident record has not been so great in the past....so I have officially now been labeled the "worst" and "unluckiest" driver in the family!

2 comments:

  1. Yay about your dress! And that's horrible for your car, but I'm very glad that you're alright! Accidents are scary stuff.

    xoxo Miss ALK
    http://missalk1994.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats many times over on finishing law school!!! What an accomplishment and I know you've worked so hard for this and so happy for you.

    So exciting about your dress! And, of course, can't wait to see it on the big day!

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete