Sunday, June 16, 2013

Meet the Parents

This father's day I have something extra special to be thankful for - a future father-in-law.

Family is incredibly important to Brandon and I, and I am so incredibly thankful to be marrying into the family I am.

My future in-laws and my parents

It seems clear that it is becoming more of a rarity for both a husband and wife to come from in-tact homes.  Only a couple of weeks ago my parents celebrated 39 years together, and today my future in-laws are celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary! The best part about it is that if you would ask any of them the secret to their successful marriages - they would all point back to their faith and a shared love for and dedication to the Lord.

Brandon and his mom

Last weekend Brandon's parents were able to make a quick stop in Michigan to meet my parents! Given the distance, they had only exchanged e-mails before this and had never had the chance to meet in person. Brandon and I had a great time showing them around the wedding venues and we all had dinner together at a potential rehearsal dinner spot (or groom's dinner according to the Minnesotans...).

My future mother-in-law, myself, and my mom

Brandon and I are both very aware of the differences between our families :) We know that the next year will bring many adjustments as we get used to different family interactions and traditions. But we are ultimately so grateful to the men and women who raised us and hope that we can follow in their footsteps in our commitment to one another and in raising a family dedicated to following Christ.



2 comments:

  1. Awww! Your posts just make me so happy for you and Brandon!! You're blessed to both have two very sweet families. :-) Glad you both had such a great weekend!!

    xoxo Miss ALK

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing for you both to have such wise counsel to turn to. It is a blessing to have such a great foundation of Christ on both sides to build your marriage upon.

    My husband and I both did not have good marriage examples to follow, and neither of use were raised in strong Christian homes. It is a handicap that we definitely don't want to pass on to our future children.

    ReplyDelete