Thursday, June 27, 2013

Young Love

I've heard you never forget your first love. 

Well "love" might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I certainly will never forget my first childhood infatuation (Jason), especially since we are still friends today. And this past weekend I had the the joy of witnessing his marriage to one of my dearest friends.

But just for fun, lets go back a few years.....

....to when I looked like this

Circa 1996

When I was about 6 my family switched churches. Our new church was fairly small, but I immediately made a close group of a few special friends. One of those friends was a fellow very energized little boy - Jason. There were about 6 of us in our little group and together we managed to get into just a little bit of mischief (I don't think that it's a coincidence that the church enacted a parental drop-off/pick-up policy for the elementary Sunday school program after our group moved onto middle school...). 

I'm not sure when it happened, but around 3rd grade I decided that Jason was the man I was going to marry (remember, I was born with a very Type-A planning mindset). This idea was only solidified in my mind when Jason and I bumped into each other while in the church basement choir room playing hide-and-go-seek in the dark and subsequently claimed that we'd "kissed" each other and were "married" the following year in a Sunday school re-enactment of the wedding ceremony where Jesus turned water into wine (still wondering why the children's minister specifically credited us in her retirement speech for attributing to her grey hair?). He made such an impact on my young life that I even documented our forthcoming marriage in my journal.

As you might suspect, years went by and we both got a little wiser :) It might have been the fact that I shot up to be about a foot taller than Jason around 5th grade, or the fact that I turned down his offer to be his official girlfriend at VBS that year (suggesting that we wait until we were older). But we did remain friends.

About 2.5 years ago Jason's girlfriend moved to the area. I had heard a lot about Jenna in the past, but didn't know her that well. But that didn't last for long :) Jen quickly became a dear friend and is such a sweetheart. We shared a lot of laughs over Jason and my childhood crush, but recognize that she compliments Jason so much better than I ever would!

This past weekend Jen and Jason officially became Dr. and Mrs. S.! The wedding was beautiful and the company was the best!


Not only was Brandon able to join me at the wedding, but as an extra treat, Jess and her husband were able to drive in from Minnesota! Making this the first time that our special foursome has been back together in a year!


It also was the first time that I got to see my adorable matron-of-honors little baby bump! 


I do love weddings :) Just 198 days left for us!

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha aw how precious! Sweet that you and Jason have stayed friends and that you and Brandon got to go to his wedding! And that's totally true about first crushes. ;-)

    xoxo Miss ALK
    http://missalk1994.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete