Thursday, August 15, 2013

Reputation

This past weekend my future mother-in-law threw Brandon and I a beautiful wedding shower. Not only were we blessed to have a special time to celebrate with our Minnesota family and friends (many of who will not be able to travel to Michigan for the wedding) but my parents were also able to drive out for several days! This was especially exciting because Brandon and I have spent so much time talking about the places and people in MN that we know and love and we were finally able to introduce my parents to some of it.

But one of my favorite parts of the weekend was actually after our shower was over, when 6 friends stayed behind (the shower was a couples shower) along with both sets of our parents. All of the friends that remained are part of our wedding party, and 4 of them have been some of Brandon's closest guy friends for the past 10-20 years.

Towards the end of our evening Brandon and I pulled out some bios we had written up about our friends for our wedding website. Mine are okay, but Brandon's collaboration is an incredible depiction of his relationships with each friend. As the laughter died down, the tables turned and the guys began to speak.

With my parents present, these special friends began to share stories and testimonies about Brandon. I was amazed to see these men speak with such sincerity and vulnerability. As the reflections poured out there were clear traits that shown through - Brandon's character and ethics, his loyalty and friendship, his faith and determination, his discipline. I found myself in a place where not only where I felt incredibly blessed and in awe of the man about to become my husband, but also so grateful for the friendships in our lives. 

Over the past few months my family has really gotten to know Brandon. My parents especially have spent a lot of time with him, and much of that time has been in deep conversation. But I know that their presence for this conversation was extra special. Not necessarily because of the character traits discussed (they already knew all those great things about my man!), but because they saw the clear respect Brandon's friends have for him.

For so many years I prayed for a man I knew nothing about. Not only did I pray that he was out there :) but also for his faith, his heart, his direction, and his relationships. Each day that I spend with Brandon I am more and more aware of how specifically God has answered those prayers, and how he used our time apart to prepare us for one another. While we are both far from perfect, we are also both very blessed.

"He who walks with wise men will be wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm."
Proverbs 13:20

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome example of how important it is to pray for your future spouse! Thank-you Julianne for sharing!! And glad that you both had a wonderful wedding shower. :-)

    xoxo A

    ReplyDelete