One of the things that has been a huge help to me has been meal planning. I hate actually doing it, but it has made our weekday lives flow so much smoother. With both of us working full time we've found meal planning to be one of the keys to maximizing our evening time together and ensuring we are eating healthy.
Last August we both decided to cut as many processed and high preservative foods out of our diets as possible. It was a challenge for both of us, but especially Brandon who was living on his own and used to the convenience of highly processed and prepared foods. Six months later I've learned to really expand my cooking skills, and meal planning helps ensure we are eating natural, whole foods about 90% of the time (we are still working on breakfasts....). One of our biggest changes has been making whatever we can from scratch - breads, tortillas, salad dressings, etc.
Here is what this week looks like for us:
Breakfasts (like I said, this is where we are working on improving, we are also both creatures of habit and convenience in this area):
- Brandon: Protein Bars, Smoothies, Kashi Breakfast Cookies
- Me: Instant Oatmeal, Cereal, Fruit
- Weekends: Eggs, Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes
- Brandon: Leftovers (he loves leftovers which is perfect when you are only cooking for 2!)
- Me: I make a big batch of soup on the weekend and will take that a few days a week or a salad with beans, homemade bread, and veggies/fruit
- Saturday: Spaghetti and Meatballs, Steamed Broccoli and Carrots
- Sunday: Dinner with Mom and Dad
- Monday: Chicken Fried Rice, Zucchini
- Tuesday: Italian Sausage Soup, Whole Wheat Bread, Salad with homemade dressing
- Wednesday: Baked Sweet Potatoes stuffed with chicken, zucchini, squash, and red onion, green beans
- Thursday: Cheese and Black Bean Quesadillas on Whole Wheat Tortillas, salad
- Friday: (Brandon's birthday dinner with my extended family) White Chicken Chili, salad, bread
Clearly I have a favorite recipe site right now :) What are some of your favorite meals?