Friday, February 14, 2014

Letters to My Husband

Happy Valentines Day!

Today seems like the right day to share one of my favorite wedding projects.


I know that a lot of couples share letters with each other on the morning of their wedding. I also have known a few girls who have kept journals where they wrote letters to their future husbands in the years before they knew who he was. While I like aspects of both ideas, when I knew Brandon was "the one" I decided to start keeping a journal for him that would end with a letter written to him on the day of our wedding. 

The first letter.


This became one of my favorite wedding projects. I started the journal in early December 2012 and the last letter was written on the day before our wedding. I sent the journal home with him after our wedding rehearsal with strict instructions not to read it until the next morning. The book was mostly made up of letters I wrote, but also favorite bible verses, quotes, song lyrics, etc. 



I'm the first to admit that I'm not a very good secret keeper - and this was one that was VERY hard for me to keep! But it was totally worth it.


I had a lot of fun collecting quotes, marriage advice, etc.

Brandon brought the notebook on our honeymoon and it was so sweet to see him read it during our first week as husband and wife. While most of the notebook contains memories or things we had already talked about, I also spent time reflecting on different issues or events that had happened, writing down my hopes and plans for our future, and simply putting into words all the things I love about him. 

Of course I had to sneak a little Downton in there! (Although this season is starting to lose my interest...)


While I would argue that saying such things in person is always the best, I know we will both treasure this journal for years to come because it captures a very special year of our lives - as it starts only about 6 weeks after we started dating and goes through our engagement, his move to Michigan, wedding planning, and our last moments of "singlehood."


I am so blessed to be the wife of such an incredible man! 
Here is to the first of many Valentines Days together!

Wedding day letter!

The last page of the journal.

4 comments:

  1. That is the sweetest thing ever!! What a special gift. :-) Thank-you so much for sharing!!

    Last year, I started keeping letters to my future husband in a binder. I don't write them often (as being still single I don't see the need to obsess over that quite yet ;-)), but every few months I write one and stick it in there. I will probably be writing on tonight for Valentines!

    xoxo A

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this idea! (and I love that we were texting when you wrote the last letter *grin*) What a precious keepsake...and such a great wedding gift. Also, let me take this moment to say that your handwriting is incredible and your word art is fabulous. And of course the fact that you quoted Downton makes it beyond perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! Right now I'm writing letters to my future husband, though I don't know who he is yet. ;) I'll definitely do this when I'm courting or engaged.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I *love* this!!! What a special keepsake -- I hope this record of your love stays with you (and through the family) for years. It's a written legacy of the beginning of a lifelong love. :)

    I began something very similar ... and I'm ashamed to say (after being married for one whole year!) that I never finished it! Haha! Oh, dear ... it is still tucked away an hidden from my man. I should finish it and give it to him as a birthday gift ... which is coming up soon anyways!

    Also, thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment on my blog. It was so sweet! I love finding fellow brides and getting to know them and I hope we can get to know each other. :)

    Have a blessed, happy day!

    ReplyDelete