After almost two months I've started to realize that there are some pretty critical things they don't warn you about in marriage counseling. Sure they cover the basics - how to communicate, money, intimacy, etc. but lets face it, those aren't the day-to-day challenges you face during the first few months of marriage.
So here is my list of what I've learned so far....
1. Sharing a bed is hard work. Especially if you are used to sleeping in a large bed alone with 3+ pillows. If you do, your husband will probably complain that he only gets 30% of the bed while you take up the other 70%. But considering the alternative is to sleep without your beloved pillows and instead turn him black and blue by your violent tossing and turning all night long, he might just be willing to accept that 30%.
The truth - falling asleep in each others arms is for the movies. Reality is the kiss and roll (as in a kiss goodnight and roll to opposite sides)
2. Changing your name is a pain. Really, whoever decided that the social security office should only be open from 10 am to 3 pm Monday through Friday (except for closing at noon on Wednesday) was not thinking of the working newlywed.
And in case you were wondering, you can't just show up at the DMV and smile for a new license with your new name and address on it....there are steps you have to take before that...
3. Some friend/relative/distant acquaintance might have been upset or offended by something you did or didn't do at your wedding. Don't dwell on it to much or let it effect how you remember the day.
4. Your new wedding dishes won't last forever. In fact, you should probably drop one on the floor as soon as you open the box just to get it over with.
5. Don't register at Target. You will probably end up with 3 Keurig machines because their registry system is awful and they might happen to mix up your returns and put the store credit back on the purchasers credit card rather than a gift card for you. This can make for potentially awkward moments when thinking of how to phrase a thank you card. On the positive side, they will consolidate all the gift cards you receive into one lump sum, which is much more convenient.
6. If you marry a Finn beware. No one will ever be able to spell or pronounce your last name again. In fact you will probably have to practice spelling it as well....