Thursday, October 2, 2014

Food for the Soul

I. love. books.

Every once in awhile I forget this. Not forget that I love reading - but more so forget how much I love books

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.
George Martin

This realization was made most evident in our recent move. For two adults sharing a 2-bedroom apartment, I would say that Brandon and I own a fairly reasonable amount of stuff (clothes, furniture, kitchen supplies, etc.) but then there are the books.....filling every bookcase and shelf, stacking in tubs under the beds and in closets, not to mention the full bookcase left behind at my parents. Most of our conversations about said books begin with "someday when we have a library...."

Since we've moved I've had fun exploring 4 of the local libraries. Yes 3 (in 10 days). I just happen to keep ending up near a different one and figure, why not?

So far I've encountered:

1. The downtown library (Minneapolis). This is the largest and has the best book selection I've ever seen. However, given its location, it also tends to be the hang out spot for Minnesota's homeless population.

2. The closest library (Minnetonka). The second largest library in the area, the book selection here is fair. However, I had to fight for a parking spot since the library shares a building with the county court and apparently there are a lot of parking tickets that need to be taken care of...

3. The prettiest library (Wayzata). This was the first library I visited. The book selection is pretty awful, but it's located right off a lake and has a beautiful view. 

I'm choosing to add libraries as a point on the "Minnesota positive" list, and not consider it to be a reflection of necessary entertainment for the winter to come. :)

"Picking five favorite books is like picking the five body parts you'd most like not to lose."
Neil Gaiman



No comments:

Post a Comment