Thursday, October 9, 2014

Throwing a Gender Neutral Baby Shower

I have reached that stage in life where I am surrounded by pregnant friends and newborns. Last year the trend seemed to be all girls, but this year almost every baby I know (in the newborn or in utero stage) is a boy!

We do have a couple of friends who are deciding to wait to find out the gender (which has resulted in Brandon an I having several in-depth conversations over which way is best). While I love the suprise element that not finding out brings with it, with gender reveal parties becoming the new norm, such a choice seems to be becoming less common.

Last week my friend Jess threw a baby shower for some dear friends of ours who are expecting their first child in December. I was given the job of being chief assistant #1. Jess contacted me about a month ago knowing that she wanted to decorate onesies at the shower (because the mother-to-be is an art teacher) but having little direction past that.

Once I found this saying on etsy - we decided to go with an art themed baby shower.


The decorations were simple, but fun. We stuck to different shades of teal/light green and grey for a neutral pallet and accented with animals (mostly birds and elephants) and art accessories (chalk, chalkboards, crayons). Jess brilliantly filled glass bottles with water tinted to match the color scheme and I snuck out of Home Depot with way too many free paint samples that we used as a table runner.

Our main activity of the night was painting onesies and bibs. I've heard of people doing this, but have never had the chance to actually do it myself. It was a blast! It was so much fun to see what people came up with and we had stencils for the less artistically inclined (ahem :) ).




We kept the menu to a heavy appetizer spread (meatballs, cheese, chip dip, veggies, fruit, olives, etc.) and iced the cupcakes to match the color scheme. Just in case anyone is wondering, 5 drops of blue + 3 drops of red + 2 drops of yellow= grey icing.



I loved this theme and it fit the mom-to-be's personality perfectly. While I loved it for a gender neutral shower, you could easily tailor the colors to be more gender specific.


2 comments:

  1. What a cool shower! I love the 'art' theme and painting onesies is a really fun shower activity, I'd actually never heard of that one before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how pretty! and the decorating onesies and bibs at the shower is such a fun idea. I didn't find out the gender, mostly because nobody in my family ever had. I almost couldn't ruin the surprise for them! Plus, it being my first child, I knew I would skew all of my baby items towards the gender and then have a bunch of boyish or girlie things for any other children I have.

    ReplyDelete