Wednesday, December 31, 2014

A Look Back on 2014

I'm pretty sure this has been the most eventful year of my life. 2006 was pretty eventful - varsity volleyball, LEAD team, graduating high school, starting college, etc., but I think getting married trumps all of that!

So today Brandon and I sat down to talk about some of our highs (and lows of 2014):

The Best Parts of 2014:

- Getting married (can't believe we are only 12 days away from our first anniversary!)


- Going on our honeymoon (particularly given that last winter was awful and freezing)

- Committing to a real food diet (Brandon's high :))

- Visiting friends in Colorado, Maryland, Illinois and Minnesota


- Taking a family trip to Florida

- Moving 5 minutes away from some of our best friends


- Having another set of great friends move to Minnesota (from Colorado) a month after we did - yay for all living in the same state!


- Welcoming Reagan Grace


- Moving to Minnesota - this goes on the best and worst list - points for the adventure of moving to a new state and being closer to friends and Brandon's family, but challenges because we left a great church, friends, and my family back in Michigan

- Making some incredible new friends - we were especially blessed to join an amazing bible study at our MI church at the end of 2013

- Having back surgery - another one for both lists - its been a really tough last few months, but we are so grateful for finding a great doctor and that things seem to be moving in the right direction

- Finding a new church in Minnesota - and the start of new friendships

- Watching our nieces and nephews grow up (so sweet to hear "Uncle Brandon" and "Aunt Julianne" for the first time)


- Celebrating the 4th of July with siblings while watching fireworks over Baltimore's Inner Harbor and partaking in a seafood feast (Brandon has particularly fond memories of this night - can you catch a food theme on his end?)


- Being part of an incredible mentoring program (I joined...Brandon picked up with the student he had been mentoring before moving to MI)

- Running my first 10k

- Our first Christmas tree - Brandon asked me the other day if we should take it down over New Years....I said "why?" Brandon took a couple of seconds to think that over and then told me if it was up to him he'd leave it up until February. I'm not sure we will make it that far :)

The Hardest Parts of 2014:

- Moving to Minnesota and being 4 states away from family and friends

- Having back surgery 

- Losing one of Brandon's best friends - Josiah

- Dealing with an apartment in Minnesota that seems to be continuously breaking (i.e. they come to fix the dryer and break the washer)

- Having a particularly high number of friends struggle with infertility/miscarriages

- Job challenges

- Family drama


While this has ultimately been an incredibly adversarial year as well, we rest strongly in our faith and the blessings of our Savior. 

"Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morinign; great is your faithfulness."
Lamentations 3:22-23

HAPPY NEW YEAR!






2 comments:

  1. great recap. I realized while reading that I missed some big events. 2014 was definitely busy for you! Praying for a speedy recovery

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was supposed to be spending a few minutes working on my own blog... like what's that????... but I am so happy I got waylaid here. I have thoroughly enjoyed catching up with you a bit. Missing you all so much.

    ReplyDelete