Sunday, March 8, 2015

Who Done It?

A couple of weeks ago Brandon celebrated his birthday. Since he's growing older and becoming more sensitive about his age, I'll just say that he's 8 years older than me (and I'm 26 :)).


Rather than just going out to dinner, I thought it would be fun to mix things up a little bit this year. Especially since this was his first birthday we were celebrating together in his home state (and around some of his best friends). While visiting some friends at the end of January, I mentioned that I had thought it might be fun to throw a Murder Mystery Dinner birthday party for B. They just happened to have thrown a few such dinners themselves and tracked down a kit for me to take home. (Thanks Wachters!)



And that's how I ended up attempting to throw a Luau in subzero temperatures.


The night was a lot of fun and fairly low key. We invited friends we knew would be up for getting into things, and boy did they! We had some pretty creative costumes, including a hair flower made out of a loofah, a socialite all in gold, and a clumsy tourist who wore khaki pants to represent his "tan" legs. Oh the creativity of Minnesotans in winter!



Of course we had to have a "luau" themed meal to go along with things. The menu included:

Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Coconut Shrimp (SO yummy)
Chips and Mango Salsa
Tossed Salad
Peanut M & Ms

Dessert clearly wasn't on point, but it was the birthday boys request, and I was happy to oblige!

I was working with a pretty tight budget, so I went with decorations that were either homemade or from the dollar store. We lit a ton of candles and the mood was efficiently set!


One of the biggest takeaways for me was that this party really showed me that you don't have to have a large or perfect space to entertain. We live in a fairly small apartment and only have a table that seats 4. But with some good food and great company we made it a night to remember!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds really fun! I've heard of murder mystery parties--I'd love to go to one, or host one, one of these days...you definitely have to get the right kind of group together, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to Brandon! So glad everything worked out so well. Things look great and your menu sounds fabulous. Coconut shrimp... yum! I love that everyone got into the spirit. That is definitely key to a good party. You can have everything perfect but if you don't have the right guest list... oh, ugg! I've been at some of those parties. My favorite thing about this post was the dude who wore the "sun tan" pants. That is just too awesome for words.

    ReplyDelete