Wednesday, September 2, 2015

As the Scale Goes Up

If you’ve read this blog for any length of time, you know that I’m fairly open about my journey with anorexia during my late teen years. While I was ecstatic to find out that Baby R was on the way, I was also a little nervous as to how I would mentally handle the physical changes that were to come.

Baby R - 24 weeks

And I would be lying if I said that I was having no problems with the weight gain that necessarily comes along with pregnancy. I’ve felt my stomach lurch when the scale has hit numbers I’ve never seen before, I’ve struggled comparing my size to other pregnant women at the same stage (am I too big? Too small?), and I’ve battled with trying to maintain a healthy diet while not obsessing about what I’m eating.

But there are a few things that have really helped along this journey:

1) Remembering that my body is not my own. God has granted me the gift of carrying a precious child, and that child’s need come first. Seeing my weight go up is a lot easier when I remember that it’s for the precious life growing inside of me.

2) Exercise regularly. Not only is regular exercise important for pregnancy, but I’ve found that it has significant mental and physical rewards. Even though I’m gaining weight, I know it’s the good kind.

3) Balanced eating. Like regular exercise, I’ve found that balanced eating helps me remember that the weight I’m gaining is good and healthy for my body and the baby. I’ve stuck to our family’s typical eating plan of primarily whole foods with lots of fruits and veggies – I just take extra servings and add in snacks! Numerous studies show that the saying “your eating for two” is a complete myth – considering one of you is the size of a blueberry for quite a bit of time. Instead, a pregnant woman needs only to increase her caloric intake by 300-500 calories a day depending on her starting weight and trimester. Of course I do have a regular dose of chocolate :) but it’s all about keeping things balanced.

4) Get some maternity clothes you are excited about! I thought it would be challenging to grow out of the majority of my clothes, but I’ve secretly loved it! Not only did it mean that there was finally some visible indication of the life growing inside of me, but I also had some super cute maternity clothes that I had been looking forward to growing into! You can find a lot of cute (yes even great inexpensive options) maternity clothes out there. It’s going to happen – so embrace it!

5) Be open and honest with your doctor. Let your obgyn or midwife know about your history and if any challenges or concerns arise. Personally, I find it helpful to check my weight once a week so I ensure I’m gaining enough, but for others it might be better just do do a weight check at the doctor’s office, and maybe only have the doctor know the actual number.

6) Be open and honest with your spouse. Brandon knows my challenges and I’m very honest when I’m having a hard day. He constantly affirms me and challenges me. He is my biggest prayer warrior and teammate.


7) Stay strong spiritually. My identity is not in my physical attributes, but in that I am a child of God who has given me the incredible, amazing gift of carrying a precious baby – and you can bet I’ll never take that for granted!

5 comments:

  1. I love how honest you always are on your blog- know that posts like this will definitely bless someone reading! And love the baby updates! So happy for you and Brandon.

    xoxo A
    www.southernbelleintraining.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved being pregnant. I would have kept going if it was possible (ha ha). You are definitely right on so many things on this list, everything in moderation even though you are pregnant. Always listen to your doctor. I didn't gain weight for a long time when I was pregnant but my doctor was never worried because the baby was growing properly. I'm glad you are doing what you need to for your own peace of mind. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE being pregnant and anorexia had never been a problem, my docs prefer I stick to a 2000 calorie a day diet when I am pregnant to maintain my blood sugar. Because I am so small that's an 800 calorie a day increase. That's a lot of extra pounds. I very much struggle with image issues as the pounds pile on. I can even manage through pregnancy okay because I know I'm doing what is best for my little ones but post partum is very hard. You look so beautiful!!! And we are so proud of you and the way you continue to be victorious in this battle. Can't wait to meet your little guy and see the manifestation of the amazing mama you were made to be. Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make sure a cute pregnant lady! And I appreciate your honesty on the subject. I know this has to be hard for you. It was very hard for me as well, and I didn't struggle with anorexia in my past. But I had always maintained a relatively thin body and struggled with vanity, so it was very hard to see numbers I've never seen before on the scale. Just keep in mind that your body really will go back. You take good care of yourself, so don't worry about losing the weight or how things will look after baby. It will take a bit but you will see that starting number again on the scale (only now you'll have a sweet baby to hold) and things will mostly go back to where they were

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your honesty, Julianne! I am a lot like Amy that just commented. I've have not experienced pregnancy yet, but I think I will have some body image struggles when that time comes. It is refreshing to hear how you've dealt with that. And you look so beautiful, just as you know! You make pregnancy look adorable. ;-D

    ReplyDelete