Monday, August 1, 2016

You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile


"There are really places in your heart that you don't know exist until you love a child." 
Ann Lamott


7 months ago this sweet little man made me a mother. One of the questions we frequently get is, "does he smile this much ALL the time?" And the answer is typically YES! Unless he is hungry or it is 6 pm (the witching hour totally exists around our house) Beckett is full of smiles and giggles. Believe me, I do not take his happy disposition for granted!

I do believe there are a few things we have done to encourage his sweet spirit - namely the fact that while we have a strict schedule and solid habits we are trying to instill in him, we also try to fairly relaxed parents. We have a schedule most days so that when special events come up or a bad nap happens we can go with the flow. We try not to fuss or make a big deal when Beckett gets upset, but do our best to respond calmly and positively. Most importantly, we encourage his smiles with lots of laughs and smiles of our own. I've quickly realized that when Beck is having a hard day, it's often because my attitude is off.


I love how Beck's sweet disposition draws others to him. He is quick to give smiles to strangers wherever we are - the grocery store, church, on an airplane - which has opened the door for me to have some unique conversations with others I might not have had. At 7 months, Beck has already showed me that something as simple as a smile really can have an effect on someone else's day!

Keep smiling little man!

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..."
Proverbs 15:13

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful baby! I agree, baby smiles bring so much joy! Now that I have two little ones, I find that when they smile at each other, my heart just about jumps out of my chest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son has that same disposition, and I truly believe the strict schedule has a lot to do with it! He is secure in knowing when things will happen and that his needs will be met before they become issues. And being flexible for when the "off" and special days occur is so important too. Having that balance is awesome!

    ReplyDelete